Red, white and bruised: Fourth of July holiday marred by shootings
Gun violence since the holiday weekend has left nearly a dozen people dead and about 60 wounded.LEARN MORE
Tampa police are investigating a shootout that left a 7-year-old boy dead.
A 7-year-old was shot and killed on July 4 as two groups fought over jet skis in Tampa, Florida.
Police said one group was upset another group was "recklessly" driving their jet skis too close to their kids who were swimming. The argument escalated when both sides started shooting at each other.
The child's grandfather pulled him into a truck to get away from the gunfire, but a round went through the truck while they were inside. Police said the same round hit the grandfather in the finger then the boy in the head.
The boy later died at a local hospital. The grandfather was treated for his injuries.
"There is no reason, no excuse that an argument could lead to gunfire, much less an argument over jet skis," Calvin Johnson, deputy chief of investigations and support, said during a press conference. "Now we got citizens, we got families, we got folks in our communities who have to deal with this tragic incident that occurred on the Fourth of July."
Witnesses believe the two groups consisted of Hispanic males, but police said there is limited information on the suspect's description.
Tampa police ask anyone with information to call them at 813-231-6130.
A 52-year-old man was arrested for two cold case murders that happened in the 1990s, but police say there could be more victims.
Before calling 911 for help, the boys tried to extinguish the fire but were unsuccessful, while the boy who ignited the firework fled the scene.
Jose Romero, 22, and Nathen Garley, 21, are both reportedly charged with conspiracy to commit murder in the death of 11-year-old Froylan Villegas.
The White House says the president hopes to encourage all Americans to follow his example and get vaccinated.
This week, the Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers resumed talks, but no deal has been announced yet.
The southwest border saw 2.2 million migrant encounters this fiscal year, closing in on last year's 2.4 million.