California Needs More Snow To Offset Drought, Diminished Runoff Levels
Nearly all of California's major reservoirs are below their historic averages.
Another snowstorm blanketed northern California on Wednesday, with
overnight rains on Thursday causing flooding near Malibu.
Yet a new map, released Thursday by federal agencies, still shows most of California in either severe or extreme drought.
But it's a major improvement from over a week ago.
The snowpack was well above average in 2017, and now experts wonder if this winter could look the same.
It's only December, and even with snow this month at 158% of normal, the snowpack needs this winter to pack in more major storms.
"We really need the upcoming months to perform just as well as this one if we want this to help us pull out of the drought at all, so this is a really promising start," Andrew Schwartz, Station Manager of Central Sierra Snow Lab at University of California Berkeley, said. "We're at about 68% of what we would expect for an entire average winter. We need to only make up the other 32% before the rest of the snow can go towards drought relief and replenishing our water supply."
And it's in dire need of replenishing.
Spring and summer runoff supply 65% of California’s water.
Due to annual runoff declining through the past decade, nearly all of the state's major reservoirs are well below their historic averages.
Things are so bad that earlier this month, state officials told water agencies to not expect any water from reservoirs heading into the new year. The governor warning, three weeks ago, the drought emergency and water conservation mandates will continue.
The hope is that massive snowstorms, however disruptive, will continue.
A study released in October found that the snowpack could largely disappear in 25 years if global warming continues unchecked. Previous studies have shown that increasing temperatures from human-caused climate change are shrinking snowpacks around the world and altering precipitation patterns.
Wintry weather scrubs more than 1,000 flights in US
More cancellations are expected in coming days as Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas deal with freezing temperatures and wintry precipitation.By Brynn Anderson / AP
Search for actor Julian Sands on Mount Baldy continues by air
Dangerous snowy conditions on California's Mount Baldy have led to a pause in ground search operations for Julian Sands.By Invision / AP
Pres. Biden surveys California storm damage, increases funding
President Joe Biden visited areas of California devastated by storms, just as he increased available federal funding to aid in recovery.By AP
What does it cost to have cancer?
An oncologist and parents of kids with cancer share how the costs of treatment can hinder or even completely prevent a patient from getting care.By San Francisco Chronicle / AP
Life-saving drugs costs thousands in the US. Can laws change that?
Prescription drugs are often priced higher in the U.S. than in other countries, but some legislation is trying to cut costs.By AP
Meet Hal, a robot helping future nurses treat patients in real time
Nursing students are using artificial intelligence and robots to train for real life patients' symptoms and concerns.By Scripps News