There are reports that more than 60 of the women kidnapped in late June by Boko Haram in Nigeria have escaped.
Last month in a series of village raids, Boko Haram is reported to have kidnapped more than 60 women and girls and 30 boys. (Via The Guardian)
That's in addition to the more than 200 school girls kidnapped back in April. (Via WorldNews247)
Some of those girls already managed to escape and spoke out about the violence they witnessed. (Via CNN)
"They went to Gwoza and brought five people to the camp. They started slaughtering them in front of me. Then they told me to slit one of their throats. I refused. I told them I couldn't do it. Then the wife of the leader of the group killed him instead." (Via BBC)
Right now, it's not clear now how the latest group of women managed to escape. (Via Al Jazeera)
Nigerian newspaper This Day Live says, "It is believed that the siege by the insurgents on military and security facilities last Friday in Damboa might have presented the women with an opportunity to flee from their abductors."
There are estimated to be more than 650,000 refugees in Nigeria because of Boko Haram's attacks.