Entertainment

Jennifer Lawrence Breaks Silence On Hack: 'I Was Afraid'

The actress spoke to Vanity Fair about the August iCloud hack that revealed her personal photos. She calls it a sex crime.

Jennifer Lawrence Breaks Silence On Hack: 'I Was Afraid'
Vanity Fair
SMS

Jennifer Lawrence is speaking out for the first time about August's nude photo hacking, and the interview with Vanity Fair shows just how hurt she was over it all.

"She had been tempted to write a statement ... but 'every single thing that I tried to write made me cry or get angry. I started to write an apology, but I don't have anything to say I'm sorry for. I was in a loving, healthy, great relationship for four years. It was long distance, and either your boyfriend is going to look at porn or he's going to look at you.'"

The Oscar winner also says she was "afraid" — she wasn't sure how the hack would affect her career.

And the actress emphasizes this is a sex crime, not a scandal, says she gets to choose when and how to expose her body — being a public figure doesn't change that choice. And she thinks laws need to change.

There's much more to the cover story, like the actress describing having to tell her father about the hack, and also talking relationships and career. You can see it all in the magazine's digital edition Wednesday.

Vanity Fair had interviewed Lawrence for the cover in mid-August, and the hacking happened just weeks later. So the mag did another interview with JLaw. Again, this is her first time speaking out.

When the hack hit, the actress' publicist did speak out with a warning, saying, "Authorities have been contacted and will prosecute anyone who posts the stolen photos of Jennifer Lawrence."

Now, the FBI is investigating the iCloud hack.

And popular Hollywood lawyer Marty Singer threatened Google with a $100 million lawsuit for failing to remove the photos.

One thing many will likely note: Lawrence is seemingly topless for many of the Vanity Fair photos, which were taken before the hack. But she got some quick support — Perez Hilton says she's "owning it." And, of course, these photos are being distributed on her terms.

The issue hits newsstands in New York and LA Thursday.

This video includes images from Getty Images and music by Kevin MacLeod / CC BY 3.0