Fake social media posts spread amid Israel-Hamas war
The European Union challenged X for allegedly allowing fake posts about the war to circulate in recent days.LEARN MORE
TikTok said it is "proactively and aggressively" removing content that promotes the 20-year-old letter from the former leader of Al-Qaeda.
The short-form video app TikTok says it will now start prohibiting content that promotes former Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden's infamous "Letter to America" after it went viral online.
TikTok users this week have been sharing a link to The Guardian's transcript of the letter, which was written in the months following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks that left nearly 3,000 people dead and 6,000 others injured. The contents of the 20-year-old letter — which includes antisemitic rhetoric and criticizes U.S. influence in the Middle East — have been used as context to debate the ongoing Israel-Hamas war, with some users online sympathizing with bin Laden's statements.
"Content promoting this letter clearly violates our rules on supporting any form of terrorism," TikTok said Thursday in a statement. "We are proactively and aggressively removing this content and investigating how it got onto our platform."
The company added that the number of videos on its platform promoting the letter was "small" and called reports of it trending "inaccurate." The hashtag #lettertoamerica has also been removed from the app's search function.
TikTok is widely popular among younger Americans, many of whom were born after the Sept. 11 attacks when 19 terrorists hijacked four commercial passenger planes and crashed them into the Twin Towers in New York City, the Pentagon in Washington D.C., and in rural Pennsylvania. Now, the alleged virality of bin Laden letter is renewing criticism of the Chinese-owned app.
"There is never a justification for spreading the repugnant, evil, and antisemitic lies that the leader of al Qaeda issued just after committing the worst terrorist attack in American history," White House spokesperson Andrew Bates told CNN.
As TikTok's CEO Shou Zi Chew was set to testify before a House committee on risks, his app connected 150 million active users in the U.S. alone.LEARN MORE
TikTok has previously said that its algorithm does not promote certain content to users and that it has removed hundreds of thousands of posts that violate its policies against misinformation or violence. However, in a recent letter to TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew, European Union commissioner Thierry Breton said it appears the app is being used to "disseminate illegal content and disinformation" about the conflict in the Middle East.
He also said the app being used as a source of news means "reliable sources should be adequately differentiated from terrorist propaganda," including separating falsified images and facts from true information.
Some U.S. leaders have called for a total ban of TikTok in America but, so far, only Montana and a small number of cities and companies have taken steps to prohibit use of the app. According to a poll conducted by the Pew Research Center — even among TikTok users — 42% say they believe the platform is a national security concern.
A judge has blocked Montana's proposed ban on TikTok while a challenge works its way through the courts.
During an on-stage interview, Musk accused the companies who pulled their ads from the social media site of trying to "blackmail him."
Lawmakers have struggled to get tech CEOs to come before Congress. In some cases, U.S. Marshals had to serve subpoenas in person.
Israel and Hamas had been under a temporary cease-fire for a week.
Calls to phase out fossil fuel use are growing louder as the United Nations meets for the COP28 climate conference.
The two governors from different sides of the country were expected to see the public debate as a way to boost their messaging and political careers.